Sunday, July 8, 2012

“Not all those who wander are lost.” — J. R. R. Tolkien


Have you ever noticed that sometimes, the best part of a trip is something that was not part of the original itinerary?  Instead, it is that spot you end up at because serendipity intervened and you went left instead of right and you arrived somewhere unexpected but wonderful.  And long after you have arrived home and done all the laundry and stood looking at the souvenirs wondering why in the world you brought all that stuff home and where you should put it, you find that when you think of that odd little spot you landed, you always smile.  It is safely tucked in your heart as a warm little remembering of an unexpected loveliness, a little gift of spontaneous and unplanned joy.

I have had a few moment like that on the 1:1 road trip this summer.  I spend a fair amount of time "cruising for apps".  Just aimlessly driving around the App Store and various websites looking to see what's out there.  Looking for inspiration.  One look leads to another, one left turn to a right turn, and once in awhile, I find something fabulous.

Fabulous - like Storybird.com.


Ironically, Storybird is not an iPad App but it is a fabulous, free website that allows people of all ages to use beautiful artwork to create wonderful stories and share them with others.  Stories can be shared with just a few, with a whole class or with the whole world.  Stories can be written for children and adults by children and adults and can be worked on collaboratively.  I hope you'll take a peek at Storybird.  In fact, I'll entice you to take this little side trip by inviting you to read a story I created on Storybird.  While I'm not likely to win a Newbery Award, I think it's a cozy bit of fun.

Click here to read a story I created on Storybird.

Now what are you waiting for?  Take a moment or two to enjoy a side trip to serendipity, go write a story and then, browse around a little in that incredible land of the internet.  If you find yourself in a fabulous place, I hope you'll send me a postcard.  Maybe I'd like to visit, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment